How to operate an Evaporative Air Conditioner Efficiently
1. Since the cooling effect is obtained by the direct movement of the cooled air stream over the occupants, portable evaporative coolers should be placed against an open window, with an open door at the other end of the room to induce a flow-through of air. The water tank will need to be refilled periodically.
2. Adequate ventilation of the conditioned space is necessary to ensure efficient performance. As a rough guide, the area of door or window openings should be equivalent to the combined area of inlets. You can gauge effectiveness by walking around the outside of the house and, if you can 'feel' the cold air being expelled, then the window/door openings are appropriately sized.
3. When considering which doors or windows to open (to allow the cooled air to leave) try to avoid the side of the house receiving the hottest, strongest winds.
4. With a ducted system, areas which are not in use may be 'closed off' either by closing doors (if the area has no inlet) or by not opening the window (if the area does not have an inlet).
5. On the few hot days when extremely high humidity occurs, the water should be turned off and the fan only left running.
6. At the beginning and end of the cooling season, carry out maintenance work in accordance with manufacture's specifications. In particular, filter pads should be inspected regularly and replaced if necessary. In hard water areas calcium salts may be deposited as the water evaporates. This will need to be cleared out periodically.