* How private do you need this? This may be a factor in the decision of the
position of the area.
* You may need to enclose this area with a wall to protect you from wind etc.
* The ground levels are critical especially when building next to the house,
so check what level the damp course is in the house.
* Access from the house must be fairly easy if the area is to be used for
Purpose it Serves / Appropriate Size
Sometimes the size of the house will govern the size of the courtyard as
most courtyards are built off the house, either in a corner or off the back.
The shape can have curved edges or straight lines, depending on the
A decision has to be made on how much the courtyard will be used and
how big you need to make it. Whether you entertain a lot with many guests
This will also affect the need to make it private. If this is the case then
check with your Local Council for permits needed to do this. Keep in mind
that foliage can obtain privacy, it just takes a little longer.
* If this area will not receive much sun, especially in winter, then some of
the materials may be more prone to growing moss, depending on where