Surge Filter on your Switchboard
In every modern day home there are expensive items of electronic equipment such as microwaves, personal computers, fax machines and video recorders which can be damaged or even destroyed from overvoltage power surges. Surges can occur from events such as lightning strikes on power lines, load switching or power lines being brought down in storms or accidents.
While portable and powerpoint styles of surge filters protect local areas, a surge filter fitted on your main switchboard will protect your entire home. The unit's fast reaction time ensures efficient and reliable protection 24 hours a day.
Common Sense = Safety
Electricity is quick, clean, reliable and, if you use it wisely, safe.
All it takes is a little care and common sense to avoid accidents around the home.
It doesn't take much effort to practice safety first with electricity and the results, measured in terms of you and your family's continued health and comfort are certainly worth it.
Get some help
The most important rule when dealing with electricity, is if you are not qualified, don't do it. Do not attempt electrical work - always get it done by a licensed electrical contractor. Their knowledge and experience are your best protection.
All electrical wiring work, including the connection of fixed appliances, such as hotplates, ovens, ceiling fans or water heaters etc. must be carried out by an electrical contractor.
Any unlicensed person interfering with electrical wiring not only breaks the law but runs the risk of damaging your property or causing a serious injury.
For example, home made extension leads, especially those without an earth wire, are very dangerous. Preassembled cords are less expensive and safer.
If you have any doubts about the safety of appliances or the wiring in your home, contact a licensed electrical contractor.
Of course, you should always follow the manufacturer's directions for using and maintaining your appliances.
If in doubt, switch it off
Always treat a 'tingle' or a slight shock as a warning.
If you suspect an electrical shock - the victim should seek immediate medical attention at hospital or clinic.
Disconnect the appliance immediately and call a licensed electrical contractor. Make sure you label it to prevent anyone from using it until it has been repaired and tested.
High risk areas
Safety switches can provide protection whenever the risk of electrocution is high:
Contact a licensed electrical contractor for more information on installing safety switches in and around your home.
- When you are using power outdoors.
- Where you may be wet or there is water in the immediate area.
- Where extension leads are used.
- When you are using power tools or portable appliances.
- Where your children are playing and near pools, baths and spas.
There's no substitute for common sense
Because electricity, like other forms of energy, has the potential to harm careless users, common sense and a little respect is the best protection.
Taking chances with faulty leads, or using poorly maintained electrical appliances just isn't worth the risk.
If you have any doubts about your own electrical equipment or wiring, call your local electricity supply authority or contractor. They can check the problem and advise if you need the services of a licensed electrical contractor.