Will I Save Money?
Not necessarily. While you may save on labour costs by undertaking much of the work yourself, there are many things that affect the final cost of building work.
For example, building materials can be a large part of the total cost of construction and you may be unable to obtain the volume buyer discounts or other savings available to professional builders.
You should be wary of a builder who suggests you obtain an Owner-builder Permit, whilst they do all the building work for you. This may be a ploy when the builder is shirking responsibility or is unlicensed or is unable to get insurance.
Who has to obtain an Owner-builder Permit?
Under NSW law you must obtain an Owner-builder Permit if:
Who can become an owner-builder?
- you intend to undertake or supervise your own residential building work,
- the market value of the labour and materials needed to complete the
work is greater than $5000, AND
- the work requires approval from your Local Council.
You do not need to hold formal qualifications. However, you must:
How much does an Owner-builder Permit cost?
- be 18 years or older, AND
- own, have a share in ownership, or have a leasehold interest (exceeding
3 years) in the land on which you intend to build your home or in the
house that you want to renovate, AND
- intend to live in the completed home or, in the case of dual occupancy
construction, one of the dwellings.
The application fee costs $135. Since 1 May 1997, there are no insurance premiums to be paid to the office of Fair Trading to cover subsequent purchasers. (See Insurance section if selling within 7 years of completion.)
Where do I get my Owner-builder Permit?
You can apply for your Owner-builder Permit from any Fair Trading Centre either in person or by mail.
You will need:
- proof of ownership or long-term leasehold interest in the land
- your Building Application number issued by your Local Council
- a copy of your building plans (including site plans) as submitted to
- your Owner-builder Permit application fee.
- If the value of the proposed work is over $1200 you must provide evidence you have compleated an approved owner builder course or have approved equivalnt experience